Every year, starting in 2019, the Czech Garden Centers Association decided to appreciate
and highlight important personality in the field
The main award criteria is long term work for
the horticultural field.
Personalities of horticulture profession they became:
2019 - Josef Holzbecher
2021 - Jiří Chládek
2022 - Josef Schuch
- Gardening family tradition – already since 1825
- 1948 – beginning of apprenticeship at a famous gardening company František Černý in Jaroměř
- 1967 – graduation from agricultural university with master’s degree
- 1969 – researcher at the Research Institute for gardening
- 1982 – successful defending of dissertation thesis on growing woody plants in containers at the agricultural university with awarding of Candidate of Sciences degree
- 1991 – reestablishment of family nursery in Zdechovice
- 1992 – together with his wife he established garden center in Prague-Střešovice
- 1997 – he was at the birth of Garden Centers Association
- 2000 – establishing of the ornamental nursery Chládek in Mazelov
- 2005 – main initiator of transformation of the association in a way how we know it today
- 2002-17 – renewal of more than hundred years old tradition of gardeners' balls
- 2017 – handing over of the company management to his sons - Jiří and Jan
- Together with his wife he built up top-class alpine perennial nursery of European significance.
He enriched world assortment of alpine by many
new species thanks to his expeditions.
- Wide publishing activity in local and foreign professional press.
- He worked in a leading position in Arboreto Brno for many years. There he participated in building many expositions, which are still popular and considered important elements for world garden architects.
- He succesfully handed over the nursery to the next generation – his daughter Jana.